I have been wanting to get a decorative mirror for my hallway for quite some time. In my part of the world, the store bought mirrors are too expensive for my budget and too generic for my taste. So, I decided to scour the net for ideas that would give me a mirror at almost no cost. As expected, the web did not disappoint and Pinterest was awash with more ideas than my mind would absorb. It took me about 5 hours to produce this ‘masterpiece’- bear with me, am a slow girl.
- Circular cardboard- I reused my daughter’s birthday cake board
- Staple gun and staples
- Circular mirror with a diameter of 7 inches
- Old magazines
- Faux Pearls
- Decorative buttons
- A piece of an old yoga mat
- Spray paint
Step # 1- Creating a base for the mirror
- Cut a circular piece of the yoga mat to act as a base for your mirror, pearls/beads, and decorative buttons ( mine had a diameter of 8.5″).
- Using a sturdy thread and a needle, stitch the pearls and buttons on the mat. You could use a glue gun to stick the beads instead of stitching.
Step # 2- Sticking the mirror to the base
- Apply super glue to the back of the mirror and carefully stick it to the mat.
- Press it down for approximately 60 seconds for it to hold firmly.
Step # 3- Making the paper cones
This was the most challenging part for three reasons;
- I needed so many cones.
- It was time-consuming.
- I had zero paper cone making experience- YouTube videos came in handy.
Step # 4- Attaching the paper cones to the board
- You can either use a hot glue gun to attach the paper cones on the board or just staple them.
- Ensure you evenly space them for your project to look balanced.
Step # 5- Spray painting
- Spray paint the attached cones.
- Using the super glue, attach mirror to the board
Kindly let me know what you think about this project by leaving me a comment.
Lots of love and cheers!